Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Movie Review: Bourne Legacy


Caught the restart of the Bourne saga this last Thursday. It's fairly easy to summarize The Bourne Legacy: Try to imagine one of the earlier Bourne movies crossed with a movie like … say …  Beaches. Man, way too much talking and self-reflection here; not near enough KICKING BUTT AND TAKING NAMES. Lots of guys will go to this movie and walk out shaking their heads. The plot was solid, it just suffered from chronic action deficiency. It made the 2:15 run time feel like an eternity. Jeremy Renner did what he could with the script. He has the charisma and presence to take on this mantle, he just needs better material. Rachel Weisz played her part well too and she looked surprisingly youthful at 42. So no foul in regard to the acting personnel. Nupe, the fault here lay at the feet of the guy in the director chair, Tony Gilroy (coincidentally the co-screenwriter with his brother, Dan Gilroy). My advice to the two bros: do a marathon of Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy, Bourne Ultimatum and sprinkle in a little Rambo First Blood I and II for good measure; THEN write the script for next film. And, ooh, please omit the cheesy violin-cliff hanger riff at the end of the next movie. I groaned audibly when I heard it. I say keep the "legacy" of patootie-kicking action and let this new generation of Bourne find its own footing (and music). "B-"

2 comments:

Dawn Marie said...

I agree!! I was like "When is the booty kicking going to start??! *looks at watch* Not yet? *looks at watch again*" But it was a decent movie. The actors did a great job. But I still felt something was missing... I just couldn't put my finger on it. Yeah and I think that "violin" moment at the end wasn't really appropriate for that ending. It worked like a charm in the first 3!

mestioko said...

Yeah, I think the next one will probably be more like the usual Bourne fare. Everyone that's seen it that I've talked to has had the same reaction: More action! :)